When is the last time you enjoyed raw zucchini?
It had been awhile since I’ve attempted to enjoy it myself. I was slightly worried when I decided to try this recipe…
It’s silly. This recipe is a CROWD PLEASER. Seriously. I haven’t fed one person this recipe without them saying, “Wow! This is really good!”
Not much time this morning, so we’ll get one with it.
Recipe: Raw Zucchini and Summer Squash Salad
- 4 cups thinly sliced summer squash
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil (plus a little extra for drizzling)
- 2 oz feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- 10 basil leaves, rolled and sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice your squash as thin as you possibly can. If you have mandolin, this would be a great time to use it.
- Combine the squash, tomatoes, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice and olive oil.
- Gently mix in the feta and basil and finish with an extra drizzle of olive oil right before serving.
Makes 6 side servings (about ¾ cup each)
A Note to the Diabetics: This would be considered a non-carb food.
If you’re going to fix this for supper, pair it with a meat (like grilled chicken, perhaps) and a carb side (like corn on the cob for 30g carb each, perhaps). For your remaining 15-30 grams of carbohydrate you could incorporate a fruit serving like 1 1/4 C strawberries for dessert.
Ta da! Diabetic Heart Healthy Meals… USING the zucchini your neighbor sneaked onto your porch. :)
*This recipe has been neighbor approved – as in “he tried it and gave it two thumbs up.” AND this recipe has also been CRMC Healthplex member/mature individuals over the age of 60 approved.
(BTW… just so you know to prepare… tomorrow’s post is going to be awesome.)