Zucchini week has been a really good thing for me.
Before this week, I would have never believed that I would be garnishing a dessert with raw zucchini slices. Not in a million years. But that’s exactly what I did and it was amazing. Let’s not kid ourselves. Zucchinis are incredibly versatile!
This week I realized that zucchini could replace…
- the bowl for your casserole
- a portion of your potato “chips“
- the lettuce in your “salad“
- the calories in your dessert
You’re going to love the grand finale of ZUCCHINI WEEK…
I know I told you I was going to show you new ways to incorporate zucchini in your cooking BEYOND zucchini bread/cake. But, I would not be serving the masses if I neglected this aspect.
Here is your proper zucchini dessert… all dressed up with dark chocolate, walnuts and Chobani Yogurt topping.
Recipe: Chocolate Zucchini Bran Muffins
- 3 C Fiber One or All Bran type Cereal
- 3 C Milk
- 2/3 C Brown Sugar
- 1/3 C Splenda
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 C Oil
- 1/3 C Chobani Greek Yogurt, plain
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/3 C Wheat Flour
- 2/3 C Cocoa Powder
- 1tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2.5-3 C Shredded Zucchini
- 2/3 C Dark Chocolate Chips
- Heat milk in a saucepan over med high heat until just boiling. Remove from heat. Add Bran Cereal and Milk to large mixing bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients: sugar, Splenda, eggs, oil, vanilla, and Chobani Greek yogurt.
- In another separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon.
- Take a whisk and mash/stir the bran cereal and milk mixture until you can no longer see individual pieces of cereal. Add the mixed bowl of wet ingredients. Stir well.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- Fold in the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Grease muffin tin or put down muffin cups and fill ¾ full. Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, top with Greek Yogurt, powdered sugar, sliced zucchini, and chocolate chips. Enjoy!
Makes 32 muffins
Nutrition information: serving 1 muffin, 105 calories, 4.5 grams fat, 201mg sodium, 18 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber, 3 grams protein.
Topping Nutrition Information: serving as seen in photo, 73 calories, 4 grams fat, 12 mg sodium, 6 grams of carbohydrate, 1 gram fiber, 4 grams protein.
A Note to the Diabetics: You can afford this dessert pretty easily. 173 calories and 23 grams of carbohydrate with 5 grams of fiber. That means you’d only have to count 17 from your budget. You’re welcome. ;)