Some moments in your life are going to seem pretty dismal…
My advice: Try to see the silver lining.
This past Thursday, I was sitting at my desk going through my emails when the Maintenance worker came into my office with a nervous look on his face.
- Worker: I’ve got bad news to tell you, but I’m not really sure how to say it…
- Me: (Looking at him expectantly) What is it?
- Worker: (Taking a deep breath) Your car rolled down the hill and into a tree. It might be totaled.
- Me: (not believing it) Are you serious?
- Worker: I’m dead serious.
- Me: (totally calm) Okay, let’s go see it then.
My car is a goner.
I stayed pretty cool while I surveyed the damage. I told myself “It’s just a car. It’s just a car.” And, it is just a car. I performed all the neccessary collision steps and called my insurance, but in the meanwhile, I’ve come to terms with the fact that I might not have a car after all of this is said and done. The insurance company told me that if the damage to the car is greater than the value, they’ll just write me a check. They encouraged me to get all of my things out of the car before it was towed because I might not see it again.
That’s a lot to deal with, but I feel like I handled it with the best of them.
You know what is the most exciting thing about this news? I have a bike. I know how to use it.
Allow me to share….
EIGHT life improvements since wrecking my car:
- I’ve been wanting to start riding my bike to work for awhile now. This is my chance to do it. In fact, this is my chance to ride my bike EVERYWHERE I go.
- I no longer have to pay for car insurance or gasoline.
- I prevent myself from going on shopping sprees because I can only buy what I am capable of carrying back with me.
- By the same limitation, I prevent excess groceries and food waste.
- I get to spend more quality time with friends… while they drive me around on rainy days.
- I have extra money, so I can offer to PAY for someone ELSE’S gasoline.
- This provides a great excuse to carpool OR have your friends come to you.
- Duh… I’m in shape and can eat more cookies ’cause I burn more calories. ;)
How can you use the sad parts of life to get your body moving in the right direction? Or in any direction at all…? ;)