The Menu for My Grown Up Lunch 4/18/13:
- Grilled Chicken + Beer Can Chicken Seasoning
- Small Baked Potato (30g)
- Broccoli, Cherry Tomatoes, Mini Peppers
- 2 slices Colby Cheese
- Orange, small (15g)
Before I get into the business of how to make this meal (very easy), I want to cover the fact that you should have a microwave before attempting this. It’s pretty easy to assemble there, and all the ingredients are very inexpensive to bring.
It’s amazing what you can make work when you have limited groceries in your house for lunch.
Side Note: Know Yourself
One thing I know about myself is that I’m an “eater.” Some people can sit down to a meal and have very little on their plate and still feel satisfied. Not me. When I sit down to eat, I want to eat a lot.
I’ve been able to work with this by incorporating lots of “healthy eating” into my lifestyle. I want to maintain my current weight instead of gain weight and I want to lead a healthy lifestyle. To do these things I have to keep my calories down and make smart choices. These smart choices that are low in calories and high in nutrients help me to be able to eat bigger portions. Bigger portions make me happy.
Now that we’re all happy, let’s get started…
How to Make Your Grown Up Lunch:
Grown Up Lunch Instructions:
- AT HOME: Dice up one chicken breast, coat in “beer can chicken” seasoning mix from McCormick (or whatever you like best) and cook over high heat in a skillet with 1 Tbsp oil. When chicken is done, remove from heat.
- Dice up 3-4 mini sweet peppers and add to chicken. Grab one small potato, a crown of broccoli, two slices of cheese, and a handful of cherry tomatoes and head out the door.
- AT WORK: Poke holes in potato and microwave on high for ~4 minutes.
- Once this is done, add cheese to potato and assemble broccoli in a microwavable bowl with 1/2 inch of water. Cover with a plate and heat on high for 2 minutes. This will steam the broccoli.
- Add broccoli to top of potato. Reheat chicken, or add cold to potato mixture. Add tomatoes to potato.
- 1 small potato = 120 calories, 30g carb
- 2 slices of colby cheese (1 oz) = 110 calories, 0 carb
- 3 mini sweet peppers = 15 calories, 0 carb
- 1 crown of broccoli = 15 calories, 0 carb
- 1/2 chicken breast = 60 calories, 0 carb
- 1 tsp oil = 50 calories, 0 carb
- 1 orange = 60 calories, 15g carb
The whole meal: 430 calories, 45g carb
Appropriate…and filling. I’m a happy person.