One of my baby sisters turned 20 today!
Note – Before I continue, I have to admit something. I missed my other sister’s birthday on the blog – I love you, Amber.
Reasons I’m glad to be the older sister…
- Who else was going to to teach me how to tease my hair?
- You let me into your space. All the time. You always have… even when you were just a little girl.
- You’re my roomie. While I was sad that you were gone a lot of the time when we lived together, you were still one of the best roommates ever.
- I love our deep conversations on life – what it is, what it should be, what it could be.
- I like how people are quick to type cast you and instead of fighting back – like I would- you just keep smiling. Eventually, they realize their error. You let them discover things at their own pace instead of rushing things.
- You help me find music I’ll like when I can’t remember what any of the songs are called on the radio/CD player/TV.
- You play along with my silly games, even though some of your accents need work…
- Anytime I’m stressed out, you make it better. You work miracles for my psyche.
- You’re smart and talented, but you don’t brag about it. I feel like I learn new things about you all the time, and I’m proud of you.
- I couldn’t have asked for better sisters to come into my life. You’re perfect for me and I’m so happy to be here for you.
I love you, Bri. Happy Birthday!
Birthday Celebration Dinner
On our birthday, our mom lets us pick what we want to eat and we all get together for a family dinner. I thought I would share what Bri picked for her birthday dinner. I always forget how good it is… until it’s her birthday again and I’m reminded.
Recipe: Heart Healthy Taco Salad
- Romaine Lettuce
- Mild Cheddar Cheese, small cubes
- Green Onions, diced
- Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 can Kidney Beans, rinsed
- 1-2 Ears of Corn, blackened
- 1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper, sliced
- Crushed Tortilla Chips
- Dressing: 1/2 Ranch, 1/2 Salsa.
- Cook corn over grill or gas stove until blackened on outside. Cut corn off cob.
- Cut and assemble ingredients.
- Toss together in a large salad bowl.
- Top with crushed chips and salad dressing.
- Recommend serving with grilled chicken breast.
A Note to the Diabetics: I would count this salad as 15 grams of carbohydrate per serving. This easily fed 6 people tonight for dinner with my family. Very yummy. Do try.