A Note to my Friend…
Dear Friendly Hummus Lover,
I am one of you. Do not be scared. I bring good news! You too can join in the fun of PUMPKIN WEEK!
When I saw this recipe, I’ll admit. I had my doubts it would be wonderful. But, I’ll tell you Mr/Ms Hummus Lover, it does not disappoint. In fact, expect to be pleasantly surprised.
The truth is… this is a DELIGHTFUL hummus that you might not ever get the chance to experience if you don’t believe in the beauty and majesty of pumpkins. Pumpkins must come into your house. They must find their way into your microwave or into your oven – and then you must find a way to give their life meaning. Pumpkins exists so that we might exist. It’s the proper circle of life. You have to eat them. Otherwise, they might go their whole life without being recognized for what they have to offer.
How would you feel if you were that pumpkin? Hummus lover, I implore you! Please, play a part. Try this. It’s delicious and the best part… it’s also NUTRITIOUS.
The Happy Pumpkin Pusher
Recipe: Roasted Garlic & Rosemary Pumpkin Hummus(Recipe adapted from blog: Pinch of Yum)
- 2/3 Head of Roasted Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Can of Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 C Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Rosemary, minced
- Salt, to taste
- Roasting Garlic: Take the excess papery skin off of the outside of the head of garlic. With a sharp knife, chop the tops off of the garlic cloves (while they remain attached to the head). Drizzle with olive oil and cover in aluminum foil. Roast in the oven or toaster oven for 40 minutes.
- Puree all ingredients except rosemary in a blender/food processor until smooth. Add more water if needed (my pumpkin was plenty moist). Stir in the rosemary at the end.
- Serve with apple slices, crackers, carrots, or roasted vegetables. Lots of yummy combinations!
A Note to the Diabetics: 2/3 C of Pumpkin Hummus = 15g of carbohydrate. This would be a very appropriate snack to eat when you’re hungry between meals. Pair this hummus with vegetables and you’re set!